Removing a pool cover without tools can be a bit more challenging, but it can be done with a bit of effort and some basic techniques. Here’s how to remove a pool cover without using specialized tools:
Materials You May Need:
- A helper (strong and capable of lifting)
- A long pool brush or broom (optional)
- Pool cover pump (if the cover has water on it)
- Ensure Safety:
- Before attempting to remove the pool cover, ensure that the pool area is safe and clear of any debris or obstacles.
- Recruit a Helper:
- Enlist the help of a strong and capable person to assist you with lifting the pool cover. Removing a pool cover without tools can be physically demanding, so having an extra pair of hands is essential.
- Remove Standing Water (if applicable):
- If there is water pooled on top of the pool cover, use a pool cover pump to remove as much of it as possible. This will make the cover lighter and easier to handle.
- Start at One End:
- Stand at one end of the pool and have your helper stand at the opposite end.
- Fold Back the Cover:
- Both you and your helper should grasp one end of the pool cover and start folding it back toward the center of the pool. Lift and fold the cover in small sections, working your way toward the center.
- Continue Folding:
- As you fold back the cover, keep it as flat and even as possible to prevent it from bunching up.
- Move Toward the Middle:
- Once you’ve folded back one half of the cover, both you and your helper should move to the center of the pool, where the folded cover now rests.
- Fold the Other Half:
- Repeat the process by folding back the other half of the cover, working from the center toward the opposite end of the pool.
- Remove the Cover Sections:
- After both halves of the cover are folded, you can lift and remove each section of the cover from the pool one at a time.
- Store the Cover:
- Store the folded pool cover in a clean and dry area, away from direct sunlight and potential damage.
- Inspect and Clean:
- Before storing the cover, inspect it for any damage or debris. Clean and dry the cover thoroughly if needed before storing it.
- Reinstall (if applicable):
- If you plan to reinstall the pool cover, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper installation.
While removing a pool cover without tools is possible, using a pool cover pump to remove standing water and having a long pool brush or broom on hand can make the process easier. Remember to work carefully to prevent strain or injury. If the cover is too heavy or difficult to handle, consider investing in pool cover removal tools or seek assistance from professionals.