The nib of a Lamy Safari fountain pen can be removed for cleaning, replacement, or customization. Here’s a general guide on how to remove the nib from a Lamy Safari fountain pen:
Materials you may need:
- Lamy Safari fountain pen
- Rubber grip (optional, for better grip)
- Soft cloth or tissue (for handling the nib)
- Prepare Your Workspace:
- Find a clean and well-lit workspace where you can comfortably work on your fountain pen. Lay down a soft cloth or tissue to protect the nib and other parts of the pen.
- Gently Unscrew the Barrel:
- Hold the Lamy Safari pen in one hand and unscrew the barrel from the grip section with your other hand. The grip section is the part of the pen that contains the nib and ink feed.
- Remove the Ink Cartridge or Converter (if applicable):
- If your pen is currently inked, remove the ink cartridge or converter from the grip section to prevent any accidental spills or ink stains during the nib removal process.
- Prepare for Nib Removal:
- Hold the grip section securely, and if needed, use a rubber grip or grip pad to help you get a better hold without applying too much force.
- Gently Pull Out the Nib and Feed:
- While holding the grip section, gently pull the nib and the feed straight out from the front of the grip section. The nib and feed are friction-fit and should come out relatively easily. Be cautious not to apply excessive force or twist the nib, as this may damage it.
- Inspect and Clean (if necessary):
- Once the nib and feed are removed, you can inspect and clean them if needed. Rinse them with lukewarm water to remove any dried ink or debris. Allow them to air dry completely before reassembling the pen.
- Reassemble the Pen:
- To put the nib and feed back into the grip section, align the nib and feed properly, ensuring that the curved side of the nib faces upward (toward the sky). Gently push the nib and feed back into the grip section until they are fully seated.
- Reattach the Barrel:
- Screw the barrel back onto the grip section until it is snug but not over-tightened. Be cautious not to cross-thread the barrel during reassembly.
- Refill with Ink (if applicable):
- If you removed the ink cartridge or converter, refill it with your preferred ink before reattaching it to the grip section.
- Test the Pen:
- Once the pen is reassembled, give it a few gentle shakes or taps to help ink flow to the nib, then test it on paper to ensure smooth writing.
That’s how you can remove and reinsert the nib from a Lamy Safari fountain pen. Remember to handle the nib and feed carefully to avoid any damage during the process. If you’re uncomfortable or unsure about removing the nib, consider seeking guidance from a professional pen technician or a pen enthusiast with experience in nib work.